This general practice collects information from you for the primary purpose of providing quality health care. We require you to provide us with your personal details and a full medical history so that we may properly assess, diagnose and treat illnesses and medical conditions, ensuring we are proactive in your health care. To enable ongoing care, and in keeping with the Privacy Act 1988 and Australian Privacy Principles, we wish to provide you with sufficient information on how your personal information may be used or disclosed; we will record your consent or restrictions to this consent.
Your personal information will only be used for the purposes for which it was collected or as otherwise permitted by law, and we respect you r right to determine how your information is used or disclosed.
This information we collect may be collected by a number of different methods, and may include, but not limited to: medical test results, notes from consultations, Medicare details, data collected from observations and conversations with you, and details obtained from other health care providers (e.g. specialist correspondence).
- Administrative purposes in the operation of our general practice.
- Billing purposes, including compliance with Medicare and Health Insurance Commission requirements.
- Follow-up reminder/recall notices for treatment and preventative healthcare, frequently issued by SMS.
- Disclosure to others involved in your healthcare, including treating doctors and specialists outside this medical practice. This may occur through referral to other doctors, or for medical tests and in the reports or results returned to us following the referrals.
- Accreditation and quality assurance activities to improve individual and community health care and practice management.
- For legal related disclosure as required by a court of law.
- For the purposes of research only where de-identified information is used.
- To allow medical students and staff to participate in medical training/teaching using only de-identified information.
- To comply with any legislative or regulatory requirements, e.g. notifiable diseases.
- For use when seeking treatment by other doctors in this practice.
At all times we are required to ensure your details are treated with the utmost confidentiality. Your records are very important and we will take all steps necessary to ensure they remain confidential.